Monday, March 4, 2013

England is Calling

ENGLAND, Inghliterra, Great Britain, The UK, Home of the Queen, Land of the most beautiful Prince, The place to keep calm and carry on, One Direction central, that place with that one tower, inventor of tea and crumpets, and so many more.


Call it what you want, but what I have come to know this beautiful country as is, the place where I made memories I will never forget. This past week I went with my school on a trip to England. And let me tell you, it is unlike any place in the world. It is such a mixture of America and Europe and I have never felt so close, yet so far from home. Being there made me realize what this year is. A chance to get away from everything that seemed so normal, but at the same time, keep a little of who I was and use it to better myself into the person I want to become.

I have fallen in love with this country in the short week I spent there. I made memories that will last a lifetime and became closer to some Italians and my lovely American friends (if that is even possible, seeing as we are closer than most families are.) When the week was over, I was so sad to go, because I knew I wouldn't get these moments back. I don't think people truly understand how precious life is until they experience the moments that cannot be repeated. I will never get the satisfactory feeling of seeing Starbucks after 6 months back. I will never walk down the streets of London again with Italians who I have become close to. I will never roam the streets of Bath, purposefully trying to waste time. These things will never happen again. And it scares me to think of all the moments I will lose when I return home, to my real home. But one thing I do know for sure is, I had the greatest week of my life and spent it with the best company I could have ever asked for.

And to everyone who made this week special, Vi voglio TANTO bene. <3


Now on to pictures. I don't want to have to type out some long description of the weeks events, so I will try my best to show it in a few photos. REMEMBER, you can always check out all the photos on my Facebook!


Before I start with photos, I will add just a few comments. So we left Monday night from Milan and got into London at about 11:30pm local time. That was a fun night trip. We stayed in a hotel and spent the whole next day exploring London. We saw things such as Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, The London Eye, and even the Hard Rock Cafe. (a must see for all Italians.) After the day spent in London, we took a bus to Bath, England. We spent the rest of our week there, staying in host families. Kayleigh and I had a very old host family, who happened to give us both the flu, thank you for that one! Anyways, in the mornings the Italian students had English lessons, so we spent the mornings roaming town and drinking Starbucks. I don't think anyone realizes how much we have missed it! After their lessons we would eat lunch then go on little trips around England. We saw StoneHenge, Bristol and the SS Great Britain, as well as Salsbury and the Magna Carta. It was such an amazing week. We came home Saturday afternoon. And since then I have been extremely sick, hints why I am writing this so late at night! No school for a few days :( And yes I am actually sad about that because I miss my class!!!!

Now for the photos!


 This is the Roman Baths in Bath, England. They were used during Roman times as a type of spa. The stories are actually really interesting, not to mention, they are beautiful.

 Oh hey British boys! Hope I wasn't being too creepy for you ;) But really though, marry me?

 Pizza night!!! The Italians liked it, but quite honestly I prefer authentic Italian pizza... Maybe I have become to spoiled.
 I am now the captain of the SS Great Britain. ;)

 London and Weasley ;) But for real though, does this kid not look like Ron Weasley? IDENTICAL!

 The bears of the group. All they do is eat and sleep, therefore they are bears. <3

 We were just way too excited to drink our 800th Starbucks of the week. Honestly though I think we had about 15 each. Maybe more. To the CEO of Starbucks.... we now deserve to own a piece of your company.

 Hahahahha, this picture cracks me up. The British humor is something else. This is a store, which clearly everyone believes the name to be something it's not.
 In the Cathedral in Bath, England.


 The Salsbury Cathedral. Inside is the Magna Carta. This church is breathtaking.

 Kayleigh and I at Stone Henge!!!

 I have seen so much history, another thing that shows me how truly blessed I am.

 If this doesn't explain the life of an exchange student, then I dont know what does.

 We found Krispy Kreme.... We cried.


 About 10 minutes and 5 exchange students later.


 The London Eye!


 As much as I want to KILL this kid at times, he is still family. Love you Connor!!!

 And we found KFC ;)

 M&M World, London, England

 London at night, someting everyone must see once in their life.

 Hard Rock Cafe, London!

 Buckingham Palace, where one day I will be living with Prince Harry ;)

 The Americans, plus Weasley, in front of Big Ben! :)
 This screams London, does it not?

 Guards!!!


 The official first Starbucks after 6 months.

 The Rossetta Stone inside the British Museum!

 The inside of the British Museum was so cool.

And now for some of my favorite pictures from the trip, courtesy of Regan Wagner Photography ;)


 London at night, like I said, unlike any other.

 USA <3

 M&M World.

 We MUSTACHE you a question ;)

 What I will wear during my marraige to Prince Harry ;)

 We should have read the signs ;)


I absolutely LOVE this picture. These girls are unlike any others. I cannot explain how much I love them. They are family. <3

 Everyone has to take a telephone booth photo, right? ;)

 With our lovely German <3 :)
 Representing the USA with two Italians and a German!


 Ignore the two strange men in the back. They are not our friends!



And one final photo with the people who made this trip what it was. I love you all so much. <3 I had the best week of my life and it was thanks to all of you.


So there was my week in short. Hope you enjoyed it! <3

Much love, Kari <3


No comments:

Post a Comment